Friday, February 14, 2014

Mudslinging on Valentine's Day

My daughter saw me getting ready to go for a bicycle ride this morning and said "where are you going Dad?" I pointed to the northeast and said "that way." I love the feeling of just going. Don't know where to or when I will be back. I will be there when I get there. Where is there? I will know when I arrive. I can't do it very often, but it is nice when I can.



What a great day for a ride. I headed across the highway on North Dakota Road. I then headed north on 1800 road. I had not realized how windy it was until I turned into it and headed north on 1800. I continued north at a snail's pace until reaching Rhode Island Road and decided to head east from there.

The road conditions were pretty good. It was a bit sloppy from time to time but I never really felt bogged down. I did have to lean a bit to the left against the north wind. I continued east until reaching 3000 road and decided to head into the wind to South Dakota Road. Although it was only one section, it was slow and low geared. With a slight rise in the road and the added wind it was pretty brutal. Welcome to Kansas, Skippy.



I headed west on South Dakota for a short distance when I heard the deep bark of three large dogs ahead. I stopped as the dogs entered the roadway from the farm on the north side of the road. As I looked ahead, I could see the three beasts slowly trotting my way. For just a moment, I felt a bit like Rooster Cogburn getting ready to take the reins in my mouth and drive headlong into my foes with pistols blazing. But I chickened out, turned around and went back the other way.

Instead of meeting my demise with the three hounds, I headed southbound on 3000 until reaching Oregon Road. I headed west on Oregon until reaching 2000. The wind had shifted a bit and was coming out of the northwest and made riding pretty slow on the way back. I decided to head south on 2000 and stop at the Gas City Park and consume my PBJ. Great Park by the way. After a gulp of water and a bite to eat I headed back to Iola via 54 Highway.



There are a number of reasons why I like to ride gravel roads. Not the least of which is traffic or lack thereof. Before reaching Highway 54, I was passed by no more than three cars the entire ride. And I did not encounter them until I was on Oregon at 2200 on the way back home. I don't mind riding with traffic, but it sure is peaceful out there in the silence of open farmland with the sound of tires rolling over gravel and the whistling of the wind in your ears.


Finding Beauty by Cycle----Enjoy the Ride










No comments:

Post a Comment