Saturday, June 28, 2014

Sometimes it is Worth the.........Wet


I have been meaning to get away on a couple of overnighter’s recently to only be shut down by other obligations, weather or I must admit a little laziness. One of the local destinations that I have been meaning to ride to is the Cedar Valley Reservoir which is to the west of Garnett. I had heard some great things about the lake and after mapping out a route, I decided that it would be my destination this weekend for an out and back, bike packing trip. So after working Thursday night, and sleeping much of the day away on Friday, I packed up and headed north at a little after five o’clock in the afternoon.
 
 

Having previously ridden the majority of the route just a week ago, I figured with the wind at my back, I could cover the twenty six plus miles and arrive well before dark. The ride north was great. I rode north on Kentucky/Idaho until I reached 1350 Road in Anderson County until reaching Indiana Road just north of Mont Ida. I then rode north on Indiana until I reached 1500 Road. I followed 1500 Road to the east which ends at the entrance to the lake.

 

Having never been there before, I decided to do some exploring and followed the road to the south hoping that I could find a secluded campground. I was in luck. I found a great site off in the woods and right next tot he lake. There were plenty of fire pits and wood for small cook fires.
 
 
 
 
 
 
After setting up camp, I decided to take a little swim to cool off. The water was great. After drying off, I decided to start a small fire. PBJ, cashews and a cup of tea made for a decent meal. After my brief dinner, I cast a line for a while and caught a couple of small bass. I have heard that the reservoir is a pretty good fishing lake. I was surprised that there was no one else around. There were no boats on the water and no loud obnoxious drunks to keep me awake all night. It was actually quite peaceful. Once it got dark, I sat down on a nice rock ledge next to the lake and finished a second cup of tea.

 

Tent sleeping for me is more like tent relaxing really. If I slept at all I would be surprised. There were some trains in the distance at times and the wind was pretty consistent but I have no complaints. It’s just me. It takes me a couple of nights to settle in when camping. And the two cups of tea probably did not help any either. When it came time to rise and shine, however I felt pretty good. I started another small cook fire and got some water boiling to fix up some eggs with bacon and tea for breakfast. For dried food, it tasted great.
 
 
 
 

I fished for a little while with no luck and decided to go ahead and ride out early. The weather was looking like rain and I chose ride in it rather than pack my gear wet. I loaded up and headed out. I caught my first storm within the first mile of leaving camp. It was a gully washer with some light hale. It continued the down pour for about a mile and then let up. For the next twenty plus miles the pattern of rain continued off and on. As I passed Hwy 58, west of Colony, it brightened up for a while but by the time I reached Carlyle, it was raining again. The road was pretty slushy which made for some muddy legs. On a positive note however, there was very little wind with the rain and what there was seemed to be out of the west rather than the usual frontal assault when riding southbound in our area.

 
 
 
 


I was able to make it home around eleven this morning and took some time to clean my gear and hang up the tent and sleeping bag. After spraying the mud off of my legs I took a warm shower which felt great. The garage looks like a locker room with clothes and miscellaneous gear hanging everywhere. Fortunately I left early enough to miss the bigger rains this afternoon.
 

 Overall it was a great trip with some great scenery including the beauty of freshly cut wheat fields and newly baled hay. There were no dogs to contend with and the traffic was almost non-existent. I will do this trip again. It makes for a great out and back overnighter through some beautiful rolling hills. I am so glad that I did not let the weather detour me from some long sought after solitude which is simply sometimes worth the………wet.

Enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment